Enter your Username and Password to log in below.
We've received a lot of comments about Gandhi, who appears in our current issue, on our Who Are We? page. We've moved all these comments over here to open up the discussion.
- Philip Ryan, Web Editor
Already a member? Log in to share this content.
You must be a Tricycle Community member to use this feature.
Signing up to Tricycle newsletters will enroll you as a free Tricycle Basic Member.You can opt out of our emails at any time from your account screen.
Editor has very poor knowledge of Buddhism and Gandhi. He needs to read a lot about Gandhi. Gandhism and Buddhism are two opposite faces of a coin. He was Nazi in white clothes and a stick in his hand.
I spend my ten years in Gandhi Asram during my childhood. Asram was based on Gandhian philosophy and ideologies. This Asram has been funded by state and centre government to uplift untouchables and tribals along with upper caste Hindus. Even lots of international funding agencies have been financially supporting this asram with assumption that this Gandhian ideology is only ideology to eradicate discriminatory caste based hierarchy from Hindu caste system. In reality, rather helping students to understand discriminatory caste system as inhuman and barbaric practice, it helps to inculcate discriminatory castes system in their life.
I come to know caste system when I was just six years old. I thought Gandhi have said that caste system is the main pillar of Hindu religion therefore, we have to follow whatever upper castes students or teacher says. We used to be given toilet cleaning work because we have been told by true gandhian followers that Gandhi said that untouchable and tribal were created by god to do dirty work. When I saw Gandhi’s picture on our respected website, I remembered all sort of discrimination and humiliation which I have faced during my stay at Gandhi Asram. Therefore, I strongly believe, your website would not let people to feel sorrow, pain and get humiliated. It was not core base of Buddhism. I am in process to understand Buddhism but when I saw Gandhi’s picture, I started feeling that there is no space in the religion for people who have been discriminated by generation, not even Buddhism.
As the previous post sheds light, Gandhi isn't really what has been depicted in the contorted history books.
Its intolerable to see Gandhi - the discriminator to find a place in tricycle.com.
This is what Gandhi had to say during the 2nd world war: "As to whether the Jews should have committed “collective sucide” by offering
themselves to Hitler: “Yes, that would have been heroism.”
I am a preacher of Buddhism. As a Buddhist, Its sad to see such irrational and sham personality on tricycle.com.
Gandhi is idolized by people of all political stripes around the world, and his life is popularly considered a model for the American Civil Rights Movement.
U.S. Senator Harry Reid called Gandhi “a giant in morality.” Former U.S president Ronald Reagan signed a bill creating a “National Day of Recognition for Mohandas K. Gandhi.” South African leader Nelson Mandela called Gandhi “the archetypal anticolonial revolutionary” whose “nonviolent resistance inspired anticolonial and antiracist movements.” African-American Senator Obama reportedly keeps a picture of Gandhi in his office.
Martin Luther King, Jr. associated Gandhi with the African-American struggle against inequality, segregation, and racism. Reverend King believed Gandhi was “inspired by the vision of humanity evolving toward…peace and harmony.” When the Indian government paid to place a statue of Gandhi at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Center in Atlanta, Mrs. King spoke about her husband’s admiration for Gandhi, saying, “It is gratifying and appropriate that this statue is installed in this historic site.”
Unfortunately, these people were never acquainted with the real, historical Mohandas Gandhi, who was a virulent racist.
Gandhi was hired to work as an attorney for wealthy Indian traders in South Africa. He moved there in 1893 and soon helped establish the Natal Indian Congress. The goal of this Congress was to “promote concord and harmony among the Indians and Europeans residing in the colony [of South Africa].” Instead of concord and harmony with the blacks, however, Gandhi promoted racial segregation. The major achievement of the Congress was the successful attempt, spear-headed by Gandhi, to fix the Durban post office “problem.” This issue is discussed in-depth here.
In 1904, Gandhi founded The Indian Opinion, a newspaper which he used as a political tool to promote his personal views. It is in this paper, which Gandhi edited until 1914, that we find a record of his extensive anti-black activism and opinions. A list of anti-black quotes from his writings, in which he invariably refers to the South African natives as “Kaffirs,” can be found here. Gandhi’s opinion of the native is best summarized when he calls them people “whose occupation is hunting, and whose sole ambition is to collect a certain number of cattle to buy a wife with and, then, pass his life in indolence and nakedness.”
Finally, in 1906, Gandhi cheered on the British as they waged a war on the black Zulus. He then volunteered for military service himself, attaining the rank of Sgt. Major in the British Army and assisting the war on blacks in every way he could. You can learn more about this here.
One of the best-known heroes of the American Civil Rights Movement was Rosa Parks, the black lady who refused to sit at the back of the bus. While Gandhi is upheld as a champion of equality, the truth is that he probably would not even have allowed Mrs. Parks on the bus in the first place. He proudly said that among South African Indians, the “co-mingling of the coloured and white races…is practically unknown.” Gandhi also boasted, “If there is one thing, which the Indian cherishes, more than any other, it is the purity of type.”
People remember Rev. King for his most famous speech, in which he said: “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” To associate Martin Luther King, Jr. with Mohandas Gandhi, whose dream was to clear the way for Apartheid in South Africa, is an insult to the memory of Rev. King.
MOREOVER THE ATROCITIES ARE COMMITTED ON DAILY BASIS ON DALITS(every day a dalit is killed, a woman is raped pl visit www.atrocitynews.wordpress.com) IN INDIA IS SILENT OUTCOME OF VARNASHRAMA THEORY CONCRETISED BY GANDHI AND HIS FOLLOWERS THRU PANCHAYATI RAJ MECHANISM...NETIZENS, PLEASE BEWARE OF GURUs&MAHATMA BRANDS< THEY ARE CURRUPTING HUMANISM
British didn't leave because of Gandhi
They were too embarassed to admit that they had become financially weak bcoz of World War 2 - so they performed a face saving act to tell people that they were 'inspired' by the thoughts and deeds of Gandhi...
Interview of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar about Gandhi (Showing the reality of Gandhi)
Editor has used "Gandhi was fearless."
Totally wrong, he was coward, why he didn't saved Bhagat Singh's life? Has Gandhi opened ever a single School or opned door of temples for Dalits which were always closed..
Gandhi was Criminal...
GANDHI ON BLACKS AND RACE RELATIONS
• “A general belief seems to prevail in the colony that the Indians are little better, if at all, than the savages or natives of Africa. Even the children are taught to believe in that manner, with the result that the Indian is being dragged down to the position of a raw Kaffir.”
»Reference: The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi, Government of India (CWMG), Vol I, p. 150
• Regarding forcible registration with the state of blacks: “One can understand the necessity for registration of Kaffirs who will not work.”
»Reference: CWMG, Vol I, p. 105
• “Why, of all places in Johannesburg, the Indian Location should be chosen for dumping down all the Kaffirs of the town passes my comprehension. ..the Town Council must withdraw the Kaffirs from the Location.”
»Reference: CWMG, Vol I, pp. 244–245
• Regarding the Hindu Theological Seminary: “I only wish that such institutions will crop up all over India and be the means of preserving the Aryan religion in its purity.” - Oct. 2, 1896
»Reference: CWMG, Vol IV, p. 93
• His description of black inmates: “Only a degree removed from the animal.” Also, “Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilized - the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live almost like animals.” - Mar. 7, 1908
»Reference: CWMG, Vol VIII, pp. 135-136
• Concerning South Africa’s White League fears of mass Asiatic immigration: “We believe as much in the purity of race as we think they do, only we believe that they would best serve these interests, which are as dear to us as to them, by advocating the purity of all races, and not one alone. We believe also that the white race of South Africa should be the predominating race.” - Sept. 24, 1903
Untold truths about Gandhi
1. Gandhi used to sleep with girls of aged between 18 to 25. Very few people know about this but its true (for detail you can read books by Dr L .R. BALI named “RANGEELA GANDHI” & “KYA GANDHI MAHATMA THE”) the girls who slept with Gandhi accepted this. Gandhi used to say that he is doing all this for his BRAHMCHARI Experiments. What from his experiments he was wanted to prove nobody knows? Gandhi himself accepted this that at the time of going to London for higher studies he decided to keep himself away from MEAT, DARU and SEX, but he accepted that he could not control himself in the matter of SEX.
2. Gandhi went to South Africa just for earning money and name because here in India he could not do well(flop) there he went mainly to save Abdullah &co. whose business was of smuggling and charged very much for this.
3. In 1932, Gandhi collected 1crore & 32 lakh Rs in the name of “TILAK SWRAJ” fund, which was collected for the use of DALITS. However, he did not spend even a single penny on DALITS.
4. In his whole life Gandhi kept on shouting that, he is in the supports AAHINSA. However, at the time of Second World War he himself sends Indian army for the fight from England side. AAHINSA kaha geye uss waqt?
5. During daytime, Gandhi spent the day in the Jhugis but he spent the night in the rest house of Birlas.
6. Gandhi advised people to live a simple life, but his simplicity was that when he was in jail there were three women in the jail to serve him for his simplicity!
7. Gandhi did not open a single door of a Hindu temple in Gujrat his home province in India for the UNTOUCHABLES.
8. Gandhi used to say that Subhash Chander Bose is like his own son, but Gandhi went on hunger strike until Bose leave his post in congress. Gandhi promised to British govt. that if we found Bose we will handover him to you (Bose was wanted in those days).
9. Gandhi kept people in dark that he is trying to save Bhagat Singh. However, the truth is that he never tried to contact VICEROY about Bhagat Singh issue. This all is said by the friend of VICEROY & Bhagat Singh named MANMATH NATH in his writings. Gandhi was feared about the popularity of Bhagat Singh because the popularity of Bhagat Singh was increasing of which Gandhi felt nervous.
10. Gandhi was saying that if the Pakistan would made it will only happen after his death. However, it was Gandhi who signed 1st on the proposal of making Pakistan.
11. Gandhi cheated all Indians at ROUND TABLE CONFERENCES by not giving the details in proper & those details, which were true.
12. Gandhi started so many ANDOLANS & LEHARS against British govt. but after a month or after 2 months he withdraw he all those ANDOLANS & LEHARS. Then what was the use of starting all those? What about the sacrifice of all those people who took part in all those ANDOLANS? In addition, he never went to lead people in those ANDOLANS. Even Gandhi’s own sons were against him but I do not know why all people were following him.
13. Now a days almost all Hindu people say Gandhi as a revolutionair, but what he said” I have come here on earth to fulfill the laws of caste.” How can one say such a person as a revolutionair? A true revolutionair never thinks according to caste line, not according to rich, poor etc.
These are very few points there are many more truths about Gandhi. In addition, from above point’s you people can decide about Gandhi. In BABA SAHEB’s own words “Gandhi Age is the Dark Age of India”. BABA SAHEB has also said in interview to BBC that “A PERSON WHO CHEATS AND KEEP OTHER PEOPLE IN DARK TO THAT PERSON IF YOU SAY A MAHATMA THEN GANDHI IS A MAHATMA.”
Gandhi's thoughts are against Buddhist basic pretext of equality and justice.
Let world knows if we apply Gandhi's thoughts in humanistic context , Gandhi can be termed as one of the biggest racist and castiest .
M.Gandhi on caste and related matters
- extracted from various sources
If the Shudras (low castes) leave their ancestral profession and take up others, ambition will rouse in them and their peace of mind will be
spoiled. Even their family peace will be disturbed. (Hind Swaraj).
I believe in Varnashrama (caste system) which is the law of life. The law of Varna (color and / or caste) is nothing but the law of conservation of energy. Why should my son not be scavenger if I am one? (Harijan,3-6-1947).
He (Shudra, low caste) may not be called a Brahmin (uppermost caste), though he (Shudra) may have all the qualities of a Brahmin in this birth. And it is a good thing for him (Shudra) not to arrogate a Varna (caste) towhich he is not born. It is a sign of true humility. (Young India, 11-24-1927).
According to Hindu belief, he who practices a profession which does not belong to him by birth, does violence to himself and becomes a degraded being by not living up to the Varna (caste) of his birth. (Young India,11-14-1927).
As years go by, the conviction is daily growing upon me that Varna (caste) is the law of man's being, and therefore, caste is necessary for Christians and Muslims as it has been necessary for Hinduism, and has been its saving grace. (Speech at Trivandrum, (Collection of Speeches), Ramanath Suman (1932)).
I would resist with my life the separation of "Untouchables" from the
caste Hindus. The problems of the "Untouchable" community is of
comparatively little importance. (London Round Table Conference 1931.)
I call myself a Snatana man, one who firmly believes in the caste system. (Dharma Manthan, p 4).
I believe in caste division determined by birth and the very root of caste division lies in birth. (Varna Vyavastha, p 76-77).
The four castes and the four stages of life are things to be attained by birth alone. (Dharma Manthan, p 5).
Caste means the predetermination of a man's profession. Caste implies that a man must practice only the profession of his ancestors for his livelihood. (Varna Vyavstha, p 28, 56, 68).
Shudra only serves the higher castes as a matter of religious duty and who will never own any property. The gods will shower down flowers on him. (Varna Vyavastha, p 15).
I have noticed that the very basis of our thought have been severely
shaken by Western civilization which is the creation of the Satan. (Dharma Manthan, p 65).
How is it possible that the Antyaja (outcastes) should have the right to enter all the existing temples? As long as the law of caste and ka rma has the chief place in the Hindu religion, to say that every Hindu can enter every temple is a thing that is not possible today. (Gandhi Sikshan, Vol. 11, p 132).
There are I am sorry to say, many Hindu temples in our midst in this
country, which are no better than brothels. The caste system can't be said to be bad because it does not allow inter-dining and inter-marriages in different castes. (Gandhi by Shiru, p129).
The caste system, in my opinion, has a scientific basis. Reason does not revolt against it. It has disadvantages. Caste creates a social and moral restraint - I can find no reason for their abolition. To abolish caste is to demolish Hinduism. There is nothing to fight against the Varnasharma (caste system). I don't believe the caste system to be an odious and vicious dogma. It has its limitations and defects, but there is nothing sinful about it. (Harijan, 1933).
Editor James Shaheen,
Dear Editor of Tricycle and Associate Editors,
I was shocked and speechless at the out set to see a pciture of “Gandhi’s” and article related to him on the latest issue of Tricycle. I would like to ask you a simple question, please help me understand “is this tricycle” a buddhist Journal/magazine or a Hindu periodicle or are there efforts to sabotage “Tricycle by Hindus”??.
No conscious human on earth will ever make any effort to write about Gandhi on a Buddhist literature, as it is demeaning and betrayal to our great Lord Buddha and certainly a great insult to Dr.B.R.Ambedkar, the greatest Buddhist revivalist after Lord Buddha.
This man Gandhi believed, practiced and preached human discrimination based on color, job and families??. He believed in preserving and practicing caste based society, where one human claims to be higher than the other, he strongly believed in untouchability where people treat other human as a creature below animals. Gandhi strongly believed in Caste discrimination and Varnashrama.
The amount of literature available on every evil aspect of Gandhi, his own words and own writings are available everywhere on the internet, besides books and documented texts, images and videos.
A man who is 360 degrees apart to the Buddhist believes dusted off from shelves to decorate a Buddhist magazine run by respected people of America in itself is a great insult me and millions of my fellow Buddhists and Buddha’s followers.
Buddhism was constantly attacked, Buddha’s teachings were constantly sabotaged by Hindus throughout the human civilization. Hindu’s like muslims and other invaders of India in the ancient period destroyed Buddhist shrines, burned the buddhist monks alive, sangaha’s were brought to ground, buddhist people were chased out of their domiciles besides got killed in huge numbers.
In such cruelty and savagery hindu’s will take the top place, besides all of those invaders who attacked Buddhists.
Hinduism in truth was always sabotaged Buddhist teachings and practices, they always try to own Buddhist belongings as if it belongs to hindus. And one of such people is Gandhi, he was without any doubt belong to a society that is a constant threat and humiliation to Buddhists.
If there is a celebration or tribute that Tricycle wants to promote, you must take Dr.B.R.Ambedkar, the true Buddhist revivalist of India and the world, the savior of Dalits and poor in India and the most importantly a great Human, almost considered as the modern Buddha by hundreds of millions of Indians.
Leaving Dr.Ambedkar behind and putting up Gandhi on your frontpage is just a shame to this humanity let alone to the Buddhist society. I hope, I can be of any help to further provide you all the evidences you may need to understand about why this is not good for Tricycle like magainzes.
I sincerely hope you will consider my appeal to avoid Gandhi on Tricycle, a Buddhist should believe and practice what our Lord Buddha taught us, I am hopeful to see your response and immediate actions in this regard.
Whether you are going to accept or ignore, I will post this in my blog as thousands of the world Buddhists are going to read it over there, but I believe you will be Buddhist enough to give it a thought.
Latest Blog Comments
The attempt to allay blame and transfer it onto the Chushi Gangruk organisation by the Swiss cultist Helmut is...
This is a most unfortunate and inaccurate article. It was Professor Robert Thurman's calumny. It's not right for...
Beth, I suggest you read the Newsweek article 'Murder in a Monastery': this will give you the origin of the...
Early on inside the 1990's there were a true phenomenon with...
Most Recent Posts
Abacus: Financial Advice And Sustainable Investing
For over twenty years, our financial advice has been based on Nobel-prize winning research and the Buddhist practices of awareness, simplicity, equanimity, and non-harming.
Salubrion: The Salubrion Seat and Enso Timers
Salubrion was born from the word salubrious "to promote health and well-being." Salubrion is committed to creating products that are truly salubrious.
Institute of Buddhist Studies
The Institute of Buddhist Studies provides graduate level education in the entirety of the Buddhist tradition with specialized instruction supporting Jodo Shinshu Buddhist ministry.
Festival Media DVDs
Festival Media offers the best Buddhist cinema on DVD. A service of the nonprofit Buddhist Film Foundation, Inc., home of the International Buddhist Film Festival.
View all sponsors